Toll Free Order Line: 1-866-247-4568
Welcome to iPilot, please Sign In or Register




If you're just starting the process or Learning to Fly or a veteran looking for an online resource to continue your education, you've come to the right place. Our expanded learning section has features for everyone!

Truth and the FAA (Part II): What It Got Me

The phone call came as bad news: The doctor I’d hired to represent me before the FAA was calling to say the agency needed more information.The phone call came as bad news: The doctor I’d hired to represent me before the FAA was calling to say the agency needed more information. This sounded ominous. A couple months before, I’d voluntarily admitted to the FAA that I’d suffered painful cluster headaches and put renewal of medical certificate in jeopardy. (Editor's note: see Part I). In the meantime, I’d seen a neurologist and with medication gotten the headaches under control. I'd also sought out help from Virtual Flight Surgeons (VFS). The VFS doc -- who had urged me to be honest -- had seemed confident that I would get my medical back. Now, he sounded worried...

'We need a letter from your doctor,' he said, '... and we need a letter from you.' The FAA was concerned that I might be in the air, suffer a severe headache and become incapacitated. I’d been told, early on, that the agency takes a very conservative approach to medical problems and tends to ere on the side of caution. I got off the phone and started to stew and fuss. Over and over, I kept thinking, “You should have listened to those pilots who told you to keep your damn mouth shut! Mark ... you're a bonehead!” I figured I was in for more hassles and maybe even lawyers. (Who was it that handled Hoover's case again? Ah, crud.)

In a mild panic, I called and left a message with my neurologist. When she called back, I explained what happened. She said she thought I should be allowed to fly and would be happy to write a letter on my behalf. My letter took a day to write, which included a valuable critique and some useful suggestions from my wife, and then a night to sleep on it, followed by a couple careful rewrites the next day and dropped the letters in the mail. There was no turning back.

I was tense, so I sat down and did a little couch flying. Cleared for takeoff. Power up. Rolling. Gauges in the green, airspeed alive ... rotate, WOW! I’m flyin’. It was beautiful. Then a cold flash shot through me ... is this just a memory? Will I ever really fly again? I don't mind telling you, I felt more than a little sick that day -- and it had nothing to do with headaches.

A week later, the phone rang. The Caller I.D. read: “Aviation Medicine.” I snatched up the phone. Dr. Keith Martin (the fellow I’d hired to work through my case) was on the other end. 'We just got a wire from the FAA. You’re good for a 3rd Class Medical.'

For a minute, I didn’t know what to say.

Then I remembered to say thanks ... thanks, again ... and broke into a grin that I haven't lost since. I’m back -- and I'm not bringing any dirty-little-secrets into the cockpit with me! Turn up the music! “BLAME IT ON THE BOSA NOVA.”

Next Stop: Tailwheel Endorsement and Instrument Rating!

Basic Membership Required...

Please take a moment and register on iPilot. Basic Memberships are FREE and allow you to access articles, message boards, classifieds and much more! Feel free to review our Privacy Policy before registering. Already a member? Please Sign In.

About This Author:
Mark Roberts started flying in late '98 and earned a private pilot certificate in December '99. He has accumulated some 225 hours in old favorites like the C-172, 182, the Piper Archer -- and even has some Citabria and DA20 Katana time. Mark is a former staff reporter for National Public Radio and currently works as a freelancer in both radio and print.
Article options:
Article Archive
Search the database.
Add to My Ipilot
Saves this article.